How to clean baby car seat is something you would worry about if you have a baby and if you have a car. Well, more so if you are a working parent or one who has to drive around often.
Babies love car seats because it is usually comfortable and means they go on a car ride. When a baby is comfortable, there is a lot that can happen. From spilling formula and pumped breast milk to peeing on the car seat – indeed, a lot can happen.
As a parent or caregiver, you need to know how to clean baby car seat to ease your tensions. A good knowledge of this will make the process less stressful. This article will teach you all you need to know.
How to Clean Baby Car Seat
Tips on how to clean baby car seat can be very valuable because every parent or caregiver wants the best for their babies. You want your baby to have comfort and safety, so you would want their car seat to be clean at all times.
It is important to know how to clean baby car seat because there are different cleaning procedures for different baby car seats. Also, there are different cleaning methods for different types of stains on a baby car seat.
In this article, we will discuss what you need to know about the different cleaning procedures for car seats. We will also discuss the methods involved in tackling specific types of stains. Be sure to read this article to the end so that you do not miss any information. Let us get started – shall we?
How to Remove Stains From Baby Car Seats
You would have to get used to removing stains from a baby car seat as a parent or caregiver. Just like cleaning a diaper bag, you would have to clean your baby car seat more than you would love to.
Your baby will have a feeding bottle or much on snacks while seated in the car. So, you should expect to see a lot of food crumbs and stains on a baby car seat. Also, there could be pee and poop stains – so you need to learn how to remove stains from baby car seats the right way.
There are times when you would be tempted to use a detergent or bleach to wash out the stains. But you should not do this because it may cause irritation to the baby’s body.
When you want to remove stains from a baby car seat, ensure to take out the seat from the car. Then, it would be best if you used a mixture of white vinegar and water on a ratio of two to one. Next, use a piece of cloth to apply the solution to affected areas and scrub gently.
You can also sprinkle baking soda solution on the affected areas and use a vacuum cleaner on the spot after a short while. These natural cleaning methods are best for the baby car seats. In addition to removing the stains from the baby car seat, they also serve as a deodorizer.
How to Shampoo Car Seats
Experts kick against the use of regular cleaning agents when cleaning baby car seats. Hence, many parents and caregivers do not know how to clean baby car seats.
The reason for this is not far-fetched. Regular cleaning materials such as detergent and bleach can be harmful to a baby’s skin and also cause breathing problems. So, many experts recommend the use of baby shampoo mixture in cleaning baby car seats.
Although home cleaning remedies made from white vinegar and baking soda are preferable, if not properly mixed and used, it can cause harm. So, to be on the safer side, baby shampoo is your best bet – especially if there are no stubborn stains to tackle.
But the question remains how to clean baby car seat with baby shampoo. Well, it is pretty easy. Make a shampoo solution out of shampoo and water. To make the solution, mix two cups of warm water with a dab of shampoo. Then apply it to the baby car seat using a piece of cloth or soft brush.
After washing, use a clean damp towel to wipe it clean. You should ensure that you don’t soak the baby car seat so that it is easy to dry out.
How to Clean Baby Fabric Car Seats
The most common types of baby car seats in the market today are made of fabrics. This is intentional because parents and caregivers are always looking for car seats that are easy to clean.
Apart from being easy to clean, baby car seats made with fabrics are durable and comfortable for babies. Below, we have highlighted the easy steps to adopt when cleaning a baby car seat that is made of fabric. Check them out!
Step-By-Step Procedure for Cleaning a Baby Fabric Car Seat
1. Ensure that you remove or dismantle the seat from the car to enable you have easy access.
2. Use a vacuum cleaner to remove all dirt, sand, and debris from the baby car seat. Ensure that you target the curves and sides to eradicate all dirt, sand, and food crumbs.
3. Use a baby-friendly soap or mild cleaning spray around the baby car seat, and focus on spots where there are stains.
4. Using a piece of towel or soft brush, scrub the baby car seat. Ensure to focus on areas where there are stains.
5. Use a clean damp towel to wipe the baby car seat clean. Wipe off all the excess moisture and make sure there are no visible stains.
6. Place the car seat under direct sunlight. Ensure that the baby car seat is completely dried before installing it in the car.
How to Clean Baby Leather Car Seats
Many parents and caregivers prefer leather car seats for their babies. This is often preferred when the car has leather seats, so, you would want the baby car seats to be leather too.
If your baby car seat is leather, it means you will have to clean it more often than you would clean a fabric baby car seat. Also, you would need to follow a different set of rules from what you would normally do with a fabric baby car seat.
Leather seats can last long – only if you clean them regularly and take special care of them. You have to mop off liquids and food crumbs from the leather seats immediately. Yes, even if you plan on cleaning the baby seat later.
It is not advisable to allow moisture to soak in or dry on your baby leather seats as they can create a permanent stain. They can also cause the seat to start to crack, fade or rot. Below, we have highlighted some easy steps to employ in cleaning your baby leather car seats. Check them out!
Step-By-Step Procedure for Cleaning a Baby Leather Car Seat
1. To enable easy access to all areas of the baby car seat, remove it from the car.
2. Use a vacuum cleaner to suck up all the dirt and food crumbs from every part of the baby car seat.
3. Make a simple home cleaning solution of water and vinegar. Use white vinegar on a ratio of two to one. That means the white vinegar should be double the water.
4. Using only a small quantity at a time, use a piece of cloth to apply the solution to the leather seat and wipe it evenly. Concentrate on areas where there are visible stains, but do not scrub to the extent of ruining the leather.
5. Use a towel to dry the leather – soaking up all the moisture. Ensure that you try your best possible to dry all the tight areas.
6. Allow the leather seat to air dry. But do not expose it to direct sunlight for too long.
7. Reinstall the seat back in your vehicle.
How to Deep Clean Baby Car Seats
There are times when you would have no other choice but to deep clean your baby car seat. There are some stains that would demand a total deep clean – it is not pretty, but it has to be done.
Many people do not know how to clean a baby car seat. Even if you want to carry out a deep clean, do not use a hose to flush water onto the car seat. Likewise, it would be best if you resisted the temptation of submerging the seat in the water and scrubbing down.
Also, please do not wash the straps as they may cause the tightly woven threads to loosen or slack. Below, we have highlighted the steps to take when carrying a deep clean on a baby car seat. Check them out!
Step-By-Step Procedure for Deep Cleaning Baby Car Seat
1. Remove the baby car seat from the car.
2. Vacuum the seat thoroughly to eradicate every dirt, sand, or debris.
3. Detach the straps from the baby seat if possible.
4. Use a vinegar solution to clean, and a wet towel or soft brush to wash the baby car seat. Remember to focus more on the areas where there are deep stains.
5. Allow the baby car seat to dry under direct sunlight before installing.