How to clean a diaper bag is definitely one of the things they don’t teach you in school. But trust me when I say that you are going to, at some point in your life, need a tutorial.
As a nursing mother or caregiver, your diaper bag is one of the most important tools needed for the care and upkeep of your baby. The diaper bag is a lifesaver because it holds a lot of secrets and helps you hold almost everything.
Apart from helping to hold clean diapers and wipes, your diaper bag will also serve as a mobile toilet for used diapers. But how do you clean a diaper bag to disinfect and prevent it from smelling? This article discusses all you need to know and more.
How to Clean a Diaper Bag
When it comes to cleaning a diaper bag, there is no sitting on the fence. It is either you know how to clean a diaper bag, or you don’t! There are certain steps and approaches you need to take when cleaning a diaper bag – depending on the material of the bag.
So, you need to have prior knowledge about what to do so that you do not end up damaging your diaper bag. Also, you need to know when to wipe and disinfect your diaper bag, and when to carry out thorough cleaning.
Under normal circumstances, you should wipe and disinfect your diaper bag every week to ensure that it is in the right conditions for use. A deep cleaning is only needed in about six months, or on occasions where a used diaper leaked into the bag. Ensure to read this article to the end so that you are able to get all the information you need on how to clean a diaper bag.
Importance of Keeping Your Diaper Bag Clean
Let us face the facts, cleaning a diaper bag can be a difficult task. So, there are times when you would ask yourself the question of the importance of cleaning a diaper bag.
It is important for you to keep your diaper bag clean at all times because all your baby’s supplies are kept in the diaper bag. For many mothers and caregivers, a diaper bag is not just for diapers – but for everything that the baby needs.
The diaper bag helps us to hold the baby diapers, toys, clothes, towels, snacks, and other baby supplies. So, to avoid infection and bad odour, it is important to always keep the diaper bag clean at all times.
Also, you should remember that you drop the diaper bag everywhere and anywhere. So, you need to keep it clean so that you do not end up transferring harm, causing germs and bacteria contacted from other surfaces to your baby.
Safe Cleaning Products You Will Need
When it concerns babies, you have to be careful of the cleaning products you use. Babies have delicate skin, so they are easily irritated by cleaning products.
It may surprise you that your everyday household detergents and soups will cause serious skin irritations and allergies when you use them to wash your baby’s clothes, toys, or diaper bag. Also, the strong smell from these cleaning products can be harmful to the baby and cause respiratory challenges.
Many persons advice on the use of white vinegar as a safe cleaning product for baby clothing and items, but I strongly advise against this. Although it is regarded as not toxic, white vinegar is acidic and can cause stomach irritation and severe allergies in the baby.
The safe cleaning products you will need when cleaning or disinfecting a diaper bag are natural ingredients. You should consider using little amounts of baking soda, citrus fruits, cornstarch, hydrogen peroxide, tea tree oil, or any other essential baby oil. These come in handy when wiping and disinfecting the diaper bag.
How to Clean a Diaper Bag
Now that you know the importance of cleaning a diaper bag, the next step is how. There are three major ways of cleaning a diaper bag. In this section, we are going to discuss each method extensively. Let us start – shall we?
Method 1: Wiping and Disinfecting the Bag
If you use one bag daily, then you should do this on a weekly basis. This is not deep cleaning, and it involves wiping and using a disinfectant. Below, we have highlighted a step-by-step guide on how you should go about this.
Step By Step Guide on Wiping and Disinfecting Your Diaper Bag
- Empty the bag and open up all the compartments, clasps, and zips.
- Shake the bag thoroughly upside down to get rid of all the dirt, sand, and debris.
- Use a vacuum cleaner to remove all the dirt and sand stuck in the edges of the bag.
- Put an open container of baking soda in the bag for 24 hours. Alternatively, you can sprinkle a little amount of baking soda into the bag. If you decide to do this, use a vacuum cleaner to extract the baking soda after 24 hours.
- Use warm water, soap, and a towel to clean the bag. Use the soapy damp cloth or towel to wipe inside the bag and its compartments.
- Apply baking soda or citrus to scrub off any stubborn stains you come across while whipping the bag.
- Use a clean damp towel to dry the bag of moisture and fluids.
- Place the bag to dry either indoors or outdoors.
- Spray the inside of the bag with a baby-friendly disinfectant.
Method 2: Deep Cleaning
Deep cleaning of your diaper bag is needed once in every six months. The deep cleaning can also be carried out when a liquid or soiled diaper leaks in the bag. It involves the use of soap, water, and sponge or brush. Below, we have highlighted a step-by-step guide on how you can deep clean your diaper bag.
Step By Step Guide on Deep Cleaning Your Diaper Bag
- Empty the bag completely and open all zips and compartments. It would be best if you also detached every attached or external compartment.
- Submerge the bag in a bucket of warm water containing baby-friendly soap or natural cleaning agent for 15 minutes.
- Scrub all the areas of the bag thoroughly to remove stains or traces of dirt.
- Rinse the diaper bag in clean water. I advise that you rinse under running water rather than in a bowl or bucket.
- Place your diaper bag outdoor to dry. Make sure it is totally dry before bringing it in for use.
Method 3: Machine Wash
Many people prefer to use a washing machine to wash their diaper bags. This should only be considered when there are no deep stains. Also, it can be done when the bag has not been used regularly.
Below, we have highlighted the step-by-step procedures to follow when using a washing machine for your diaper bag. Check them out!
Step By Step Guide on Using a Washing Machine on Your Diaper Bag
- Ensure that you read the manufacturer’s instructions on the bag. This is to ensure that the bag is safe for machine wash.
- Open all the zips, straps, and compartments. It would be best if you also detached all external straps.
- Place the diaper bag in a pillowcase. Do not place the bag directly into the washing machine.
- Use warm water and a baby-friendly detergent, and run the machine in gentle mode.
- Rinse the bag manually under running tap water.
- Place the bag outdoors to dry. Ensure that all parts of the bag are dried before use.
How to Clean Synthetic Diaper Bag
If you have a synthetic diaper bag and are worrying about how to clean it, worry no more. Although there are a lot of synthetic bags that can be machine washed, some are not. So, to be on the safer side, I advise you to wash it manually using the following steps.
- Empty the bag and flip it upside down to get rid of dirt.
- Use a vacuum cleaner to get rid of dirt in the hidden areas.
- Flip the bag inside -and set it on a clean surface or towel.
- Use a stain remover and towel to clean all the areas of the bag.
- If you notice any stains, use a soft toothbrush to scrub them in a circular motion.
- Pat the inner area of the bag dry with a clean towel.
- Flip the bag and carry out the same procedure.
How to Clean a Leather Diaper Bag
Leather leaves a style statement, but it is often hard to clean. So if you have a leather diaper bag, here are some easy steps to clean it and get the best results.
- Empty the diaper bag and ensure that all the zips and compartments are open.
- Use a vacuum cleaner to remove dirt or debris from the bag’s hidden compartment.
- Using a damp cloth, wipe the interior and exterior of the bag.
- If you notice any stain, use the damp cloth to wipe it in a circular motion.
- Let the leather relax for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Then use a clean, dry towel to clean all the areas of the bag to remove any moisture.
Can you Put a Diaper Bag in a Washing Machine?
Yes, you can carry out a deep wash on a diaper bag using a washing machine. However, before you do this, ensure you first check the bag’s label and confirm that the manufacturers approve the use of machine wash.
Secondly, do not make the mistake of placing the diaper bag directly into the washing machine. Instead, it would be best if you put the bag in a pillow case, and set the washing machine in slow mode.